by Isabelle Workman
May, the month of flowers, has important celebrations such as Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. But there are 6 interesting facts about the month of May, you may not know:
1. The month of May was named for Maia, the Greek Goddess of fertility.
2. May’s birthstone is the emerald which is emblematic of love and success.
3. In any given year, no month ever begins or ends on the same day of the week as May does.
4. May used to be considered a bad luck month to get married. There is an ancient poem that said “Marry in May and you will rue the day”. However, it is no longer considered a bad marriage month, and has become a quite popular month to get married.
5. The United Kingdom celebrates May as the National Smile Month.
6. On May 1, 1931, the Empire State Building was officially opened.